All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '21, 10:17 

Are you human?: YES
Good day folks. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I will update as I build, so check back often.

I will be building and implementing in two phases, as outlined below. Let me know your thoughts on this. I can pickup pea gravel for super cheap (<$10 per ton) and haul it myself in my 5 ton dump trailer. I can wash it before using it, so that isn't a concern. Here is a list of questions I have at this time, if people don't mind answering them. :)

Questions:
  • How do I test the pea gravel for limestone content?
  • My water supply is well water, super hard (20 grains per gallon, 7.9 ph and high alkalinity), any concerns here?
  • I'm being told to use channel catfish, due to restrictions on Tilapia in my area and too high of heat for Salmon, can anyone confer with this?
  • Do I need separate bio mass with pea gravel? I have plenty of old (faded, but not rotten or moldy) sunscreen fabric I can use

Phase 1:
Building a temporary greenhouse on the south side of the house, measuring approx. 30 ft x 15 ft. Inside I will house a sump tank and two 330 gallon IBC totes for my fish. I will also have 18-20 half-barrels (22.5 gallon each half) for grow beds, along with whatever NFT and DWC I can fit in that space. I will have overhead support so I can hang NFT from the structure.

Phase 2:
Once I have a proof of concept, I will be constructing a 16 x 50 greenhouse with a 4000 square foot "Greenhouse Garden" behind it (greenhouse on the south side of the garden, large oak trees shading the west sun from the garden. Garden will have full sun in the morning and afternoon. I plan to upgrade the aquaponics system to include four 330 gallon fish tanks and probably another 20 or so half-barrel grow beds.

Supplies obtained so far (Updated 01/04/2020 8 PM CST):
  • 3 x 330 gallon, food grade IBC totes
  • 10 x 55 gallon, food grade poly drums

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '21, 11:51 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Most of me
1. Take a sample of the gravel and drop it in Vinegar, you want to see no bubbles or fizzing.
2. Yes, the PH is to high for growing, ideal at start up for cycling but it needs to come down to 7 to be of use, the best way is a RO filter for your top up water, this will slowly get to the point where your PH will drop from your nitrification and you can buffer it back up with Calcium and Potassium and also dose for your plants.
3. Dont know.
4. If you have enough Pea Gravel it would work ok, adding a solids filter before helps with prolonging the cleaning time of the gravel. This requires a MT tank to mineralise the collected solids before adding the water/nutrients back into the system.
5. Keep us updated and good luck on your project.

PostPosted: Jan 5th, '21, 22:58 

Are you human?: YES
dasboot wrote:
Keep us updated and good luck on your project.

Thank you so much for your responses. I will test the gravel sample I have today.