All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 11:42 

Are you human?: yes
Hello All, I wanted to pose the idea for the 10x12 greenhouse i have setup in the backyard. I have 2 of the 275 gallon IBC's already... and what I am thinking so far is this:

The Fish tank(s) will consist of 2 x275 gal totes with 2 vertically positioned 55 gallon barrels in between the totes. The barrels will have red claw condo pvc scraps in them to use up the space. On top of the IBC's I will run 2 beams to hold up 6 half barrel growbeds with pebble rocks filling them.

Finally, I was going to position a last 55 gallon drum at a higher level than everything to have as a high tank and pump from one of the red claw barrels acting as a sump to the high tank which will drain into the 6 half barrels, returning to the sump.... Now....

IF I have 2 totes and 2 vertical barrels how would I arrange a SLO?
Also, would I be able to use a float switch on a sump in a CHIFT PIST system of this arrangement?

As of right now I am thinking about putting 100 fingerling blue tilapia in the totes and buying 20 or so redclaws for the 2 barrels. Also, could I grow duckweed in the high tank and not clog up anything?

Thanks for any input. Kevin.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 12:44 

PS I was trying to stick with either a timer, or preferably a float switch. The autosiphon and flapper valves dont seem like a safe long term plan. This setup is also going to include some intank led lights and atleast one airstone per fish tank. Thanks. Kevin.

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 16:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hi
While a little unclear on the setup you want, I'm worried about your numbers: 100 tilapia and 50 crayfish vs. 6 half-barrel growbeds seems like a little underfiltered to me.

As for the SLO, I think you should have one in each tank (and not a single one between all the joined tanks).

Also, if your growbeds are lower than your fishtanks (I don't understand if they all are or only one of the crayfish barrels is), why would you pump to a header tank and then let it drain to the growbed? Usually CHIFT PIST goes Fishtank - SLO - Growbeds - Sump - Fishtank. This would also reduce your pumping head :thumbleft:

Hope some of this info helps!

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jan 27th, '13, 02:35 

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I am trying to cram AS MUCH as I can into this greenhouse. The fluctuations in my area are 100 F in summer and 15-20 F in winter... so I have to keep the fish and veggies covered. I wanted to do the traditional chift-pist system with appropriate hieghts.... but I HAVE to put the half barrels ontop of the IBC's for space requirements.

I may be able to add 3 more half barrels for growbeds to bring it up to 9 half barrels...
Would that be enough filtration for 100 tilapia and 20-50 redclaws?

Also, IF the growbeds are ontop of the IBC's, would I benefit from a swirl tank,(or sediment tank?) how could i arrange that and is it necessary? I have found little info on that so far. Thanks.

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '13, 03:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Some times I wonder
Welcome to the madness of AP Gardening.

I think you are going to find you have a bout 5 times the fish you would want. They woud be ok for now but they have a tendency to grow up and make a lot more amonia to filter.
Go to the front page of the website and on the menu bar is a FREEE ebook called The IBC's of Aquaponics. Download that book and read it. It covers the ratios of growbed filters to fish tank gallons and number of fish in tank system. Plus a whole lot of other good stuff you need to know.

My system thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9505

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '13, 04:36 

Thanks Don for the response. IF I am looking at 660 gallons of FT in 4 separate containers, how many gallons of GB should I be looking for? And what is the max number of tilapia I should be putting in? Also, what would happen if I were to use corrugated plastic tubing with caps to take some of the volume out of the barrels in the base and added liner pots to reduce the number of pebble rocks I need to purchase?