All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '21, 19:42 

Are you human?: yes
Hi there, It's almost 3 years since I wrote the original post and so many things happened since then! We are just a couple of weeks away to launch the new version of AquaShield, that is a smart monitoring and controlling device for aquaponics (and aquaponics).

It all started for me as a hobby, when I built my first aquaponic system and just 4 years later here we are with this high-tech device ready to hit the market and hopefully help a lot of aquaponics enthusiast (just like me). Let me tell you, if something has existed like this device back than, when I was struggling with the daily PH and EC checking and tried to figure out what exactly is happening the AquaShield wouldn't exist - I would bought anything to get rid of the frustration of not knowing what's happening in my system!

Anyway, here we are and I'm quite happy how the new version of AquaShield has turned out. Please take a few moments and let me know your thoughts.

THIS IS MY INDOOR SETUP THAT ALSO ACTS AS A TEST SITE FOR AQUASHIELD:

Growing basil, cilantro, chard and all kind of salads in the basement

FEATURES:

In the last 12 months we tested the AquaShield thoroughly and mercilessly. Since we finished our Kickstarter campaign, we shipped more than 50 units all over the world and received a ton of feedback from our backers and customers.

Based on these, we identified all weak links and missing features and created the AquaShield 2.0. , our most advanced monitoring and controlling system yet! But we didn’t stop there, we also created some new modules, so you can monitor almost any important environmental parameter in your greenhouse or grow-room.

So, it's quite a complex system, that can monitor PH, EC, dissolved oxygen, temperature, humidity, light etc. and also have 8 controllable relays.

We tried to come up with a picture, that can really show all the functions, so we created this (let me know how you like it):

All the hardware feature compressed in one image :)

CONTROLLING MY AQUAPONICS

One of the most frustrating tasks was to set up the cycling at my first aquaponics system. I built an IBC system and I wanted to fill and drain my 3 grow beds one after another. I tried the Bell siphon method, but I failed more times than I would like to admit :D

I also wanted to control grow lights and a fan, based on the humidity.

Long story short, we added 8 controllable relays to the new version of Aquashield, so you can control your grow light, pumps, valves fans or even fish feeders. You can use a time-based workflow or use a sensor for triggering eg. if the water drops below a certain level (measured by the water level sensor) you can start pumping water to the tank by switching on a water valve.

VPD IS SO HOT RIGHT NOW

While testing the new device, one of our previoud customer asked if we could calculate VPD (or vapor pressure deficit) and it turned out, that actually with the new humidity/light/temperature module we can :D

The new Humidity / Light / Temperature module

VPD controls plant transpiration rates, stomata opening, CO2 uptake, nutrient uptake, and plant stress. Once you mastered the VPD you will be able to optimize nutrient uptake and grow better.

With the Aquashield you will get a humidity and a light sensor module (that also host a temperature probe), and you can also connect 2 other temperature probes. If you place one of these probes near to the plants' leaf, you have all the necessary inputs for the VPD. You only have to set, which temperature probe is placed near to the plants and boom, AquaShield gives you VPD in real time. How cool is that?

CO2, SOIL MOISTURE, AMMONIA, NITRITE, NITRATE ETC.

After just one year of having my aquaponics system I had a massive die-off. All the fish has died in just one week and I just felt totally helpless. Later it turned out, that I had a dead fish that poisoned the whole tank and dissolved oxygen was also too low. Once I noticed, it was already late.

With the new "JOKER" connection at Aquashield it a problem is a thing of the past :)

With the AquaShield’s new 0-5 V analog input connection you can connect almost any kind of analog sensors (0-5V) and start monitoring CO2, Ammonia, Soil moisture, Salinity and much more.

Also we have a video how AquaShield works: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szJfn_mii68[/youtube]

Hmmmmm, this turned out longer than expected :D However I was happy to share it with you, as the love of aquaponics was the catalyst to build the AquaShield for exactly this community.

PS: We are launching our Indiegogo campaign in 2021 March, check out page for more information here:
https://www.aquashieldcontrol.com/smart-home-system-for-hydroponics-and-aquaponics/

Here are some more pictures:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 25th, '21, 23:12 

Whoa! Thats really cool!

Im glad you stuck with it for such a long time

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '21, 18:38 

Are you human?: yes
Thanks Charlie,

I'm a bit obsessed with the topic to be honest :) But aren't we all?

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '21, 03:06 

Of course :)

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 29th, '21, 03:02 

Are you human?: YES
:headbang: