All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Feb 22nd, '21, 20:40 

Are you human?: yes
Hi, newbie question.
I would like to grow grass carps into an ibc tank. My idea is to keep things as simple as possible with low electricity, and my concern is solid removal. Tell me where i get wrong here :
Carps love still water, so what if i deliberately let the solids settle on the bottom of the tank, and remove them with a two-gate system like this?

Attachments:
fish tank.png
fish tank.png [ 12.1 KiB | Viewed 5403 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 27th, '21, 12:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: On the full moon
Hello!
Interesting idea.
My question is, if this is in an IBC, how would your gate slide in and out, and remain water tight?
I'm curious about your idea...

In my head, it seems prone to leaks, especially with the water pressure, since it's at a low point in the tank...

I think Carp would be fine with a high turnover or movement of water, though it is true they can tolerate still water, it isn't a necessity, and they will probably end up being healthier with more oxygen and filtration.

In a closed system, the parameters of the water matter more than in a natural setting. In nature, fish can seek out what they need, or the best they can find in the situation they find themselves in, in a closed loop system, they end up being more at the mercy of the operator....

Will

Barrel System
IBC System
300 gallon flood and drain system

PostPosted: Feb 27th, '21, 12:09 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Look into SLO's. They are simple, and effective ways of removing solids, and can go into a simple filter.

Barrel System
IBC System

PostPosted: Feb 27th, '21, 12:10 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

It stands for Solids Lifting Overflow.

Barrel System
IBC System

PostPosted: Feb 27th, '21, 16:58 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
Hiya Jurassic, I’ve thought about a perforated or mesh floor with a bottom drain similar to your dwg but I think a SLO as Will suggests is hard to beat with a radial or swirl filter in line with the ft discharge line.
Having the bottom with fish waste can cause anaerobic areas if left for too long and to get the velocity to clean the bottom would also be an issue.
Keep it simple, the extra maintenance required could come back and bite you on the ass.
Where are you planning to locate your pump?

PostPosted: Mar 10th, '21, 07:35 

Are you human?: YES
One issue I am facing is that IBC generally have a \_/------\_/ shape where a central SLO still leaves a lot of room for fish waste etc to get "stuck" down two of the sides, I initially tried some fancy H and X shaped attachments on the bottom of the slow which at my flow rate turned out pretty useless.

So I agree SLO to a radial flow settler is a good way to go but make sure you still use a vacuum/siphon to get any build up in the sides cleaned out as part of the regular maintenance OR do a better design job than me :)